This is the Sailor and Boat website for irrelevant gossip, created by Omessi.
This website is still under development. Anyway, we already have something in, so here is a list of Omessi’s shorts, sorted alphabetically.
- Country code 31 - Rotterdam, it’s late October night and cold on train platform nine. Twenty minutes left until our train to Amsterdam via Schiphol departs. Clear night skies, no clouds or stars, and it is very cold. We are well dressed and packed. I look at my daughter, now after the two weeks we have spent in Holland, […]
- Don’t you think you went too far? - A man once walked into my office at work. I was in the middle of doing something. He said to me: “Don’t you think you went too far?” I did not know that man. In fact, I hardly knew any of my fellow workers, since I was new in that organization. They treated me fairly […]
- I once worked onboard a mooring ship - It was many years ago, when Friedman offered me a temporary job onboard a ship at the Port of Haifa. The port administration hired a security company, who needed guards, for long shifts, nights included. Friedman heard that high school kids were good enough for the job, and he knew some people from that security company. […]
- I tell her she looks great - Etude, for Eric Clapton I tell her she is looking great. She smiles a little, and then turns serious. She is in the middle of her make-up routine. She examines the mirror thoroughly, sending me a quick look every now-and-then, just to verify the kind of face I am using when staring at her. She […]
- Laptop onboard the Train - I didn’t mind that today’s train was almost empty. I insisted on seating myself right on my reserved seat, according to the exact number printed on my ticket. There was a man with a laptop seated on the bench across from me. He was ‘working on his laptop’, as people say. Some minutes later he moved […]
- Mrs. Schwartz and the Religious Bomb - Mrs. Schwartz, my next door neighbor, woke up yesterday morning with an irritating itch in her left shoulder. She told Aaron, her husband: “This itch is killing me, and I think I’ll have to see my doctor today. I will leave work earlier, and head directly there. My doctor runs a clinic downtown, five bus […]
- Taxi driving in Brooklyn, 1980 - Bobby Panama, the night dispatcher of “Remsen Car Service”, called me over the radio: “Joey, not even one o’clock and it’s already slow. I suggest that after you finish this call, come on in and close your shift”. Even though I was in bad need of money, and every hour with the taxi helped a […]
- The stain - Three months ago I looked out through my office window and found a stain on the glass. I tried to remove it but I couldn’t get it done. The stain was probably left by a sick pigeon, and by now it became irremovable. I called the cleaning lady. She came with some cleaning equipment, but […]